Pattern Mixing and Hair Cutting





 photo DSC07143_zpswdbmohil.jpg

I love wearing this skirt in the spring. The floral print and colors just make it perfect for this time of year. Usually I wear it with a solid colored shirt but yesterday I felt like switching things up with some pattern mixing. Pattern mixing can either look really chic or it can make you look like a two-year-old who picked out their own clothes (a recurring scene in my home.) If you stick to similar colors and make sure that both prints aren't too busy, you're usually good-to-go.

Speaking of a two-year-old who picks out their own clothes, I have a story to share about Eve. Really it's a story that demonstrates some of my strengths and weaknesses as a new mother-of-two. Last week a few minutes before John got home from work, Eve had a really bad attitude

Top: H&M (similar here)// Skirt: ASOS (similar here and here) // Shoes: local store (similar here and here) // Necklace: Forever 21 (similar here) // Watch: Kate Spade // Bracelet: Love Andrea's Closet // Nails: Essie Perennial Chic


I love wearing this skirt in the spring. The floral print and colors just make it perfect for this time of year. Usually I wear it with a solid colored shirt but yesterday I felt like switching things up with some pattern mixing. Pattern mixing can either look really chic or it can make you look like a two-year-old who picked out their own clothes (a recurring scene in my home.) If you stick to similar colors and make sure that both prints aren't too busy, you're usually good-to-go.

Speaking of a two-year-old who picks out their own clothes, I have a story to share about Eve. Really it's a story that demonstrates some of my strengths and weaknesses as a new mother-of-two. Last week a few minutes before John got home from work, Eve had a really bad attitude. I was feeding Lily and Eve really wanted my attention so she was whining and shouting. This isn't usually an issue because Eve will always bring toys over for us to play with together while Lily feeds. For some reason she wasn't interested in doing that this time. During a particularly annoying bout of whining, I asked her if she wanted to go to her room for a time-out. She said that she did, so I told her to go upstairs to her room. She went in there for a few seconds and then came back out to the landing, looked down at me and proudly announced, "I listened, Mama!" It was an extremely adorable moment. It was the kind of moment that made me feel like I was doing a good job raising a sweet little girl. Unfortunately this mothering-win was quickly followed my a mothering-fail. I told Eve that she could come back downstairs but she ran off upstairs instead. I assumed that she had gone back to her room to play with something. A few minutes later I heard her crying. I ran upstairs to see what was happening and saw her holding a pair of scissors in my bathroom, the pair that I had cut her hair with earlier and had left on the bathroom counter. I was so worried that she had done some serious damage. Feeling a little panicked I ran over to her and gave her a quick inspection. Luckily she only had a tiny scratch on her face. Apparently she didn't approve of her new haircut and felt that she needed to fix it up a little. After sufficient cuddling and calming down, I looked her hair over and came to a realization. My little Eve is a haircutting prodigy. She had cut the hair next to her bangs and had managed to do it in a way that it framed her face. Really it was just lucky that she hadn't cut more or I'm sure it wouldn't have turned out that way. Lesson of the day: put away scissors immediately after using them (what a surprise!)

Other ways I've worn: striped top
Post here
Post here 
Post here














Other ways I've worn: floral mirror skirt
Post here
Post here

Linking up with: Style Sessions

Comments

Popular Posts