Making the case for Pleated Maxi Skirts






Polka dot cardigan: Forever 21 (similar here and here)  |  Pleated skirt: thrifted (similar here)
Floppy hat: DSW (similar here)  |  Layered necklace: H&M (similar here and here)


Remember that post where I talked about pleated skirts replacing tulle skirts? How they were the tulle skirt's sophisticated older sister? Well now I believe pleated maxi skirts are the fun older sister of the jersey knit maxi skirt. Now don't get me wrong, when it comes to comfort, I'm all about a soft knit maxi. But the pleated maxi has some definite advantages:
1. They're more forgiving than a knit maxi. Knit maxis tend to cling to problem areas- like butts or thighs and show all your lumps and bumps.
2. They provide texture. So, you know, they just make an outfit more fun
3. They don't require constant ironing. Maybe it's just me, but I find myself constantly needing to iron knit maxi skirts. I don't like to dry mine in the dryer (for risk of shrinkage) so they tend to dry a little wrinkly. So if I want to wear one I have to iron them... so I don't wear them a lot.
4. They're more durable. Jersey knit fabrics may be soft and comfy but these traits always goes hand in hand with vulnerability. There's a higher risk of piling, fading, and holes with this type of fabric versus the fabrics that pleated skirts are generally made from.
5. They're just more flattering. There, I said it.

And now, for a little insight into my life, here's an Eve quote of the week:
As her Aunt was attempting to apply some Jamberry nails to Eve's tiny three-year-old toes, Eve decided to start telling some jokes. While she told many, most of which ended with her making some kind of random noise, this one was my favorite:

Eve: "Knock, knock"
Eve's Aunt: "Who's there?"
Eve: "Banana"
Eve's Aunt: "Banana who?"
Eve: "... Minion!" *Giggle, giggle, giggle, throws head back in fits of hilarity*

Yep, she's a comedy prodigy.


Other ways I've styled: pleated maxis



Other ways I've styled: polka dot cardigan



















Linking up with: Watch What I'm Wearing, Let It Shine, Mix It Mondays, Sophisticated Style, LLALM, Style Sessions, Trend Spin, Confident Twosday, On Trend Tuesday, Bloggers Who Have Inspired Me, Chic Style, WIWW, What I Wore, What I Wore Wednesday, Trendy Wednesday, Color and Grace, Fresh Fashion Forum, Look What I Got, Spotlight Weekly, WIWT, Throw Back Thursday, Labour of Fashion, Thursday Fashion Files

Comments

  1. perfect combination! look so comfy!

    http://chicglamstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the pleated maxi! And the color of this one is sooo good

    sierradanielle.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love midi and maxi lengths! They allow me to avoid pants every single day of the winter. This pleated one is gorgeous on you!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  4. That skirt is incredible, I love the maxi length! What a great find!

    Hailey
    www.themiddlecloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always wear pleated maxi skirts so well. I love how versatile they are! This one looks beautiful with that cardigan. Hahahah Eve is awesome. Little kid jokes are the best.

    https://forsevenseasons.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, Sierra! This maxi skirt looks great on you! I wish I could wear maxi dresses and skirts. I stick with midi because I'm short! Maxi skirts are always too long on me and it's a pain to get hemmed.

    Christie
    The Closet by Christie

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pink pleated maxi really had me wanting to buy it! But I also saw a couple other maxi skirts, but I wasn't willing to splurge on them all. Obviously, I loooove maxi skirts. And this pleated one is gorgeous on you, Sierra!

    xo,
    Abby of Life in the Fash Lane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty skirt... and I am loving the hat! I hope you'll stop by and link up with the new Good HUES-day linkup every Tuesday :)

    Amanda @ A Good Hue

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see what you mean about pleated maxi skirts as a better fit and style. The pleats definitely hide and accentuate features instead of clinging to areas you don't want to show off. ;) I'll have to try one out now that I've seen your cute outfit!
    http://passportcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tell Eve her Banana Minion joke is adorable and I totally laughed. (; I own a top with pleats in it. I love how it camouflages my mom tummy. I never thought about incorporating that into a skirt. I love maxi dresses, but hate solid colors because sometimes they cling to my stomach. Not cute. I usually stick with printed ones so it's less noticeable. I'm totally searching for a pleated maxi number to try on. (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. you look fantastic and have convinced me of the importance of a pleated maxi
    Hope to see you at a Labour of Fashion linkup.
    http://www.alabouroflife.com/2016/01/a-plethora-of-plaids-when-you-fashion.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the color of your maxi skirt and how you styled it! Thank you for being a part of TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you soon!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey! Thanks for the amazing posts! Visit our blog Beauty Guest Post

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! They always make my day!

Popular Posts